Saturday, January 3, 2009

Is Reality TV the New Crack?

I recently returned from a week plus long vacation in Sunny Miami thinking i could get away from the nonsense i am accustomed to in the Mainland ( I use the term Mainland because i dont really believe Miami is part of the United States) only to end up watching a bunch of unthinkable reality tv shows. My Boys girlfriend switches from one Reality TV Show to another and can probably do it round the clock because they have so many of them out right now that its sickening. This reminded me of an Episode of the Boondocks ( I must say the first season was a classic) where Huey had a project and he was supposed to watch B.E.T channel for a week straight and in a matter of days he had high blood pressure , became irritable, Cursed out loud and his Cholesterol was up. Well thats how i felt about these shows. There is nothing sensible or to learn about these shows yet they come up with more and more by the minute. Some of the shows i was exposed to was Rev Run's House, Housewives of OC, Atlanta, Some Mormon lady who had 18 kids, Some woman who weighed 600 pounds and was trying to lose it, Top Chef, Home Improvement shows and many more.

There has to be some research that proves that by watching these shows can stunt ones learning ability. This is similar to what the Soap Operas did to the Viewing Audience in the 80s and 90s till they came up with a 24 hours Soap Opera Channel and now people will never miss out on their favorite shows. It bothers me that there is no regulation for this mess but i see how its ruining our society. I think i am going to add another rule to my dating game and it is "IF YOU ARE ADDICTED TO MORE THAN TWO REALITY TV SHOWS THEN ITS A DEAL BREAKER". The sad thing about these shows are that the viewers really start believing in the characters on the shows and its just a pity that people are acting a monkey just because the Producers told them so they can bring in the ratings but they forget that at the end of the day you have to go home and live your real life regardless of what you have put out there.

Another craze out there which is driving me nuts among adults is Rock Band and Guitar Hero in which contestants are given some fake guitar and drum sets and try to imitate the beat and just by doing this crap they honestly think they can end up being half way decent musicians which is some more B.S. I have yet to read anywhere that you can learn how to play an instrument by playing these stupid games. I am glad i did not grow up in the Playstation era because i cant imagine me being addicted to Guitar Hero and my partner is in the livng room playing WII Fit while watching her Favorite Reality TV show and i am probably playing online with somebody in China. What happened to just plain ole fun without all the extra.

I still believe the greatest recreation ever is Sex and closely followed by Good Food and none of this requires an Electronic Game (Thank God for that) to master. All these stupid distractions are going to do is make our kids more anti social and lack communication skills and paranoid about life and i wonder if the Government will have a Stimulus Package to solve this mess since every time we have a major problem we end up with some stupid Stimulus Package to temporary solve the issue but long term fuck it up.

Happy New Year !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

4 comments:

Admin said...

'Reality TV' is the only TV on TV I watch so that's about 7 shows a year.

Big Brother
Celebrity Big Brother
I'm A Celebrity Get Me Out of Here
The Apprentice
X Factor
American Idol
America's Next Top model

I don't know what the problem is. There seems to be a new age snobbery with regard to TV and ONLY reality TV shows. And those that don't watch them seem to think they are somehow better and more eductaed than those that do. I think soap operas are shit, but I'm smart enough to know that by watching make believe characters and stories this is in no way hindering a person's ability to think or learn. I mean seriously, where do people come up with this stuff anyway that it has an effect on one's brain cells. Watching a contestant sing their way to the grand prize, or see 14 contestants battle it out to be Donald Trump or Sir Alan Sugars appretice is hindering me how indeed compared to watching an episode of Holby City or Ruth Rendell mysteries??

I could care less what people think about me and my TV viewing. I'm intelligent enough to not take it seriously and see it as harmless entertainment. And only now in the noughties do people want to use reality TV as a reason and a cause for dumbing down. **shakes head** reality TV is not to blame. People need to start taking PERSONAL responsibility for not being 'intelligent' enough and stop using television as a scapegoat. It's no skin off my nose and to be honest it really isn't that deep. I'd rather be entertained than watch the news and be bombarded constantly with depressing news and atrocities.

Reality TV does not mould my way of thinking...as soon as the credits roll it's done, I'm still able to speak, articulate, put one foot in front of the other and use there and their in the correct context.

So if people want to judge me for what I choose to view, then more fool them. I've come across a lot of people that I actually believe think they are a little 'better' by being extra vocal about their non-appreciation for reality TV shows. It's like why are you trying so hard to look and sound relevant? It's only friggin TV. My TV shows don't mould me as the person that I am or what I indeed know.

Fashogi said...

People who are addicted to substances and other habits will like to say that there is nothing wrong with what they are doing also as long as they do it in moderation. We can all say what we want about the media not having much influence on what we do but for as much time as we dedicate to the medium its virtually impossible not to. Its a constant struggle for me at the grocery store because of these crazy marketing brands using gimmicks for me to pick their brand even though their product barely has anything different in it but when i see something that boasts anti oxidants or low cholesterol, acai, pomgranate i am more likely to pick it until i read the label and find out that it might just be a trace of it.
Its easy for you to call Soap Operas Shit but you find it offensive to call Reality TV shit.
The shows you picked are the Pioneers in the crappy Reality TV game and i must say are probably a bit better than the new crap they are coming up with but explain to me whats the sense behind locking up a bunch of ppl in a house with cameras and everybody acting out so they can get their 15 mins of fame or "The Apprentice" where the Producer and star of the show Mr Donald Trump is a fraud and has filed Bankruptcy way too many times to be considered a Billionaire and still hustles 20,000 speeches across the world to support his hideous lifestyle and are those challenges even real? All he does is play the gender card or race card the get TV ratings and we never hear about the contestants again. X Factor and American Idol is the problem we have now with our youth where every single one of them wants to be an Entertainer , I wish they will come to the U.S and watch how they are losing their homes and investments in the drop of an eye.
ANTM now is that a scam or what? Tyra was never really a Super Model and her claim to fame was really Sports Illustrated Swimsuit Edition and later Victorias Secret and she has churned out how many winners now and i will like to know if any of them actually became Super Models or just Super Sluts with too much exposure. One rule about Modelling is Never become more than the art you are expressing but thats what the world wide show creates.
I dont have all the answers but people really need to wake up and disengage from this nonsense.

Nothing Personal

Admin said...

In a nutshell let me say this, first off not offended. Secondly I think with this particular topic about TV and those that watch it you take way too seriously, there's a difference between thinking a genre is shit, to actually pigeon holing a group of people together who partake in its viewing. I also think Neo-Soul music is shit, but I'm not about to try and breakdown the psyche of those that listen to it and 'try and get' what they are all about. You can say it's shit if you want I never said you couldn't, my point made was in looking down upon a group of people that watch them. Thirdly, one thing I've learnt, the older I get the more open minded I need to be in who I choose to communicate with. I wish you luck if you really do choose not to associate romantically with women who don't fill your TV viewing quota. Trump and Tyra are making their money LEGALLY that's all I care about. I admire their reality TV hustle. If I were them you couldn't tell me a damn thing. I like the show. I like the format. It's called escapism nothing different to watching movies. The last time I checked my liking Saw doesn't make me a serial killer psychopath and my love for American Idol doesn't turn me into a drivelling idiot, but in all honesty I don't need to prove that to you or anybody else. There are many more facets to ones personality than a minor thing such as television. I watch 7 of them over the course of a year when they are aired periodically which probably airs to viewing 1 TV show a week. A week! You gonna drop me as a friend because I don't fill your quota? Potential dates a limit of 2 shows? Friends a limit of what, 5? God forbid if my friend who dislikes sports dismissed her then future-husband [a sports coach and teacher], herself a reality TV watcher and the smartest degree educated, studying for her masters, multi-lingual woman I know. So much so I'm literally enamoured by her knowledge from the history of royal families over the world, religion, historical leaders to politics and just life in general. Articulate is not even the word. I'm yet to meet anyone as intelligent as her and be surprised if I ever will. And she loves a good soap and Reality TV show. I just hope your disdain and passion for disliking this genre of TV is spent as much being appalled by atrocities going on this very planet.

Opé - Style Artist said...

I LOVE reality TV!
It's my outlet...I need to know that some one out there is crazier than me.